Saturday, November 6, 2010

Kaydee's plan



When I was running the co-ordination and balance course last weekend, I realised that it has been a long time since I have done any of those sorts of exercises with my own dogs. This is particularly remiss in the case of Kaydee, who would benefit most from the sort of exercises that recruit slow, controlled, intense muscle use, but without impact or excessive twisting. The sort of exercises that strengthen core muscle groups, and develop large and small muscle groups that 'fine tune' exact movement. These muscles stabilise joints, and therefore protect them against moving out of their natural range (hyper-extension) that might cause injury. At the same time, they develop proprioception and encourage circulation of joint lubricants, both of which should assist in reducing any joint pain. In the same way that my own back benefits from regular pilates, I think getting Kaydee back into that sort of regular excersise should help her problems. So the first part of Kaydee's plan is to get out the balance ball, wobble cushion, wobble board etc. and to make sure we do lots of fun little exercises with them on a regular basis. The second part of her plan is to take her swimming. I really struggle to be able to afford this, I would love to take all my dogs swimming regularly, but I will do as much as I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
For a bit about what I do for a living, see: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AeEKryTUo-Q